What exactly is a domicile certificate?
A domicile certificate is a permission provided to a resident of a certain region that allows him to take advantage of resident quotas in educational institutions, government agencies, or jobs that favour locals. A domicile certificate, which is issued online by states, contains various important facts. Here’s all you need to know about them!
A domicile certificate or the State residency official certificate, issued by the appropriate State or Union Territory, is proof of an individual’s residence in that territory. People of diverse faiths, languages, castes, creeds, or groups are eligible to apply. Women who marry permanent citizens of another state may also apply for a domicile certificate. Continue reading to learn more about the document’s purposes, application method, and documentation necessary to receive it.
What does a Domicile Certificate in 2023 mean?
It is an official document that acts as proof of a person’s permanent residency in a state or union territory (UT) of the country. To get a domicile certificate, an individual must fulfil specific conditions that differ by state. Once gained, a person can participate in several government programmes that would otherwise be unavailable to non-domiciled persons.
Types of Domicile Certificates
The following are the many sorts of domiciles that must be understood in order to determine when the certificate is required.-
Birthplace of residence
This applies to persons who are born in a certain region or state and obtain the residence there. This is valid until the individual chooses to permanently relocate elsewhere. Most people keep their domicile status from birth, even if they relocate for professional or educational reasons.
Residence of choice
After establishing residency in another nation, an individual may apply for a domicile of his or her choosing.
This denotes a child’s or wife’s domicile when derived from their parents or husbands, respectively
What is the purpose of a Domicile Certificate?
The domicile certificate facilitates the following benefits:
- State scholarship benefits
- Reservation benefits in educational institutions and government posts based on resident quotas
- Legal liberties and rights of all citizens in a specific region
- Right to purchase any property or real estate
- Know Your Customers (KYC) documents such as PAN card, Voter ID, and Aadhaar card
- Admission to universities, colleges, and schools, among other educational institutions
- Proof of residential address when applying for a loan
- Proof of residency when starting a company or registering as a medical practitioner
Domicile Certificate: Is a domicile certificate necessary when purchasing property in India?
A domicile certificate is not required to purchase property in India. However, the importance of a residence certificate differs by state. The Indian constitution, under Article 19 (1) (d), permits nationals to dwell, study, work, or live wherever in India. Every state, however, has a strategy of favouring its domiciled inhabitants with quotas at employment, educational establishments, and unique fee structures when necessary. As a result, a domicile certificate becomes necessary in India. However, holding a domicile certificate is insufficient for purchasing land in many districts of India.
For example, states included in Schedule 6 of the Indian constitution, such as Meghalaya, Assam, Tripura, and Mizoram, do not permit migrant land acquisition regardless of domicile certificate. As a result, it is critical to double-check the papers necessary before closing on the property.
Who can apply for a Domicile Certificate in 2023?
Individuals must review the qualifying conditions before filing for a domicile certificate to prevent problems. The following are the application requirements:
- The applicant must have lived in the state or territory for at least three years, or his or her parents must be permanent residents. Please keep in mind that this characteristic is subjective and may differ amongst states/UTs. In Karnataka, for example, candidates must have lived there for seven years before applying. In contrast, Bihar requires applicants or their parents to have lived in the state for at least three years.
- Applicants must hold property in the same State or Union Territory, such as a home or land;
- the applicant’s name must appear on the State voter list; and
- the domicile certificate can be requested for by a woman after marriage.
Documents Required for a Domicile Certificate in 2023
The papers necessary to apply for a domicile certificate are as follows:
- Identification proof: Aadhaar card, PAN card, Voter card, Passport, Ration card or driving licence;
- Proof of residence: bank passbook, rent agreement/similar papers or utility bills
- Other papers include a school leaving certificate, an application form with a statement, a tehsildar/court affidavit, passport-size pictures, and a birth certificate.
How to Apply for a Domicile Certificate in 2023?
You may apply for a domicile certificate both online and in person. Many states have begun to provide the service online to make the procedure more easy.
Go to your state’s website to apply for a domicile certificate online. To obtain a domicile certificate, you must first register and complete an application form. A step-by-step method to acquiring a domicile certificate is provided below.
- Step 1: Go to the official website of the state government or university where you live.
- Step 2: On the home page, click the Apply Certificates Online button.
- Step 3: Next, enter your login and password. Create an account if you do not already have one.
- Step 4: From the Apply Online menu, select Apply for Services.
- Step 5: Click Apply, and an application form will appear.
- Step 6: Complete the application form with all of the essential information. When finished, click Submit.
- Step 7: After successfully submitting the application form, you will be given an acknowledgement number. Save the acknowledgment number in order to download the domicile certificate.
There are options for downloading E-certificates while applying online. You may monitor the progress of your application online at the relevant portal and download the document after it has been issued.
Domicile Certificate in 2023: Who is responsible for issuing a domicile certificate?
The domicile certificate is issued by the authorities of the particular State or Union Territory. The tehsildar, revenue department official, Sub-Divisional official (SDO), district magistrate, circle officer, or SDM might issue it.
Consider the domicile-issuing authorities in several states.
|Mandal revenue officer
|Revenue officer and village administrative officer/ office of the circle officer concerned
|VAO/circle officer/revenue inspector
|Sub-divisional magistrate/tehsildars office/revenue department/district collectors office
|Deputy collector/sub-divisional officer
|SDM of the subdivision/deputy commissioner
|Tehsildar/additional collector/sub-divisional officer
|Tehsildar at revenue department office
|Sub-divisional magistrate/revenue department/tehsildar office/district collector office
|District magistrates office
|District magistrate/BDO/SDO/deputy magistrate/additional district magistrate
|Deputy commissioner/sub-divisional magistrate/sub-district magistrate
State-by-state list of Domicile Certificates in 2023
Here is a list of online websites or gateways for applying for a domicile certificate in various states. However, keep in mind that you will first need to create a login ID and finish the application for the same.
|Online service system
|e-District services on the state portal
|RTPS government portal
|Goa online portal
|Digital Gujarat portal
|e-District (JharSewa) portal
|Nadakacheri AJSK portal
|Aaple Sarkar portal
|e-Saathi web portal/App
Individuals can apply for the domicile certificate at any of these authorities, depending on the state, if they apply offline.
- District magistrate’s office
- Deputy collector/collector’s office
- Tehsildar’s office
- Sub-Divisional Magistrate’s office
- Revenue office
- Sub-registrar/registrar’s office
- Citizen service centres
Because the domicile certificate is essential to access the necessary State/UT benefits across the country, it is strongly advised to obtain the relevant paperwork to avoid any discrepancy.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
Visited 37 Times, 1 Visit today